Translate

Wednesday 20 February 2013

Mexico: The Adventure Begins

INTRODUCTION

February 9, 2013

I Just Want to be Closer was playing on the radio that Wednesday night--a few summers ago--as our car pulled away from the back of a mall plaza. I gazed out the back seat window, listening, but Mexico was really on my mind.

My family had volunteered there twice before, many years ago. But now our friends Barb and Katrina, who had also started going, invited me to come with them on their next trip there. Adventure was in the air, forshadowed in the night like the smell of rain before a storm. Something else was calling, too.

"Take me with You," I prayed that night a couple of years ago. If God was going anywhere, I didn't want to miss out.

Fast forward until around four months ago: Barb, planning another missions trip had again invited me along with the exact words "I think you should come. I do, I do." Trouble was, I needed someone with whom to stay in San Diego. Enter my buddy Lana and her mom, Mrs. LaFrance. Simple as that, our group of five came together for the journey we are now about to begin. It has been four months of waiting, packing and learning Spanish (or trying to) but we fly today! In 1.5 hours, to be exact.
Here are the details:

Destination:
Foundation for His Ministry's Hogar Para los Ninos (Childrens' Home)                            
Vicente Guerrero, Baja California, Mexico
Purpose: To serve wherever needed
Time: Total of ten days (02/09/13 - 02/19/2013) with one week in Mexico
Itinerary:
Saturday: fly to meet our friends in San Diego
Sunday: join the YWAM group with whom we are traveling and drive down to the mission
Monday-Friday: work at the mission
Saturday: retrun to San Diego and say goodbye to our YWAM friends
Sunday-Tuesday: time in San Diego

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. ...I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
--Jesus, Matt 25:35,36 and 40 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment